前景提要:赝品画事件告一段落,接下来是调查麦考夫的国家大案,我不会说卷福知道了真相而且一直跟踪华生......
W:So this is where West was found?韦斯特是在这里陈尸的?
Man D:Yeah. Are you going to be long?是的。会检查很久吗?
W:I might be.也许
Man D:Are you the police, then?你是警察吗?
W:Sort of.算是吧
Man D:I hate them.我恨他们
W:The police?警察?
Man D:No, jumpers. People who chuck themselves in front of trains. Selfish bastards.不,那些自杀的人。拦在火车前的人自私鬼。
W:Well, that's one way of looking at it.你可以这么看吧。
Man D:I mean it. It's all right for them. It's over in a split second, strawberry jam all over the lines. What about the drivers, eh? They've got to live with it, haven't they?我说真的,他们倒轻巧。几秒钟就没命了,草莓酱喷的满铁轨都是。司机怎么办?他们还得习以为常?
W:Yeah, speaking of strawberry jam, there's no blood on the line. Has it been cleaned off?对了,说到草莓酱,铁轨上没有血迹。已经清理了吗?
Man D:No, there wasn't that much.不,没这么多。
W:You said his head was smashed in.你说他脑浆迸裂啊。
Man D:It was, but there wasn't much blood.可是没很多血
W:OK好吧
Man D:Well, I'll leave you to it, then. Just give us a shout when you're off.那你在这儿看看吧。走的时候叫一声。
W:Right.好的。
W:Right, so, Andrew West...got on the train somewhere. Or did he? There was no ticket on the body. How did he end up here?好吧韦斯特...在某处上车了吗?尸体上却没有车票。那他为什么死在这里?
S:The points.岔口。
W:Yes!对。
S:I knew you'd getthere eventually. West wasn't killed here, that's why there was so littleblood. 就知道你会明白的,韦斯特没死在这儿,所以血迹这么少。
W:How long have you been following me?你跟踪我多久了?
S:Since the start.从一开始。
S:You don't think I'd give up on a case like this just to spite my brother, do you? Come on, we've got a bit of burglary to do.你不会以为我真会放弃这案子就为了和我哥哥赌气吧?走了,咱们要私闯民宅了。
S:Missile defence plans haven't left the country, otherwise Mycroft's people would have heard about it. Despite what people think, we do still have a secret service.反导弹计划还没流出国,否则麦考夫的人会知道的,不管人们怎么想我们的确有特务机构。
W:Yeah, I know, I've met them.明白,我见过他们。
S:Which means whoever stole the memory stick can't sell it or doesn't know what to do with it. My money's on the latter. We're here.所以偷记忆棒的人没法卖掉它或不知拿它怎么办,我赌后者。到了。
W:Where? Sherlock! What if there's someone in?哪里?夏洛克如果有人在家怎么办?
S:There isn't.没有人。
W:Jesus... Where are we?老天啊!我们在哪?
S:Oh, sorry, didn't I say? Joe Harrison's flat.抱歉我忘了说这是乔伊·哈里森的家。
W:Joe...?乔伊
S:Brother of West'sfiancee. He stole the memory stick, killed his prospective brother-in-law. 威斯特未婚妻哥哥的家,他偷了记忆棒,杀死了他的未来妹夫。
W:Then why did he do it?他为什么要这样?
S:Let's ask him.那就问他吧。
W:Don't! Don't.住手,别动!
Joe:I wasn't meant to...What's Lucy gonna say? Jesus.我不是故意的...露西会怎么说?天呐。
W:Why did you kill him?你为什么杀他?
Joe:It was an accident. I swear it was.我发誓这是意外。
S:But stealing theplans for the missile defence program wasn't an accident, was it? 可偷走反导弹项目计划并不是意外,对吧?
Joe:I started dealing drugs. I mean, the bike thing's a great cover, right? I don't know how it started. I just got out of my depth. I owed people thousands. Serious people. Then at Westie's engagement do, he starts talking about his job.我是个毒贩,自行车只是幌子。也不知从什么时候开始我越陷越深,我欠人很多钱,那些人都不好惹。在订婚仪式上,他和我谈起他的工作。
Joe:I mean, usually, he's so careful. But that night, after a few pints, he really opened up. He told me about these missile plans. Beyond top secret. He showed me the memory stick, he waved it in front of me. You hear about these things getting lost, ending up on rubbish tips and whatnot. But there it was. And I thought... Well, I thought it could be worth a fortune. It was pretty easy to get the thing off him, he was so plastered.他一贯都很谨慎,可那一晚,几杯以后他开始无话不谈了。他告诉了我这个计划,都是高度机密。他给我看了记忆棒,在我面前晃着。你听过有些东西很容易弄丢,落在垃圾堆里之类的。但它就在我眼前,所以我想...这可能值一大笔钱。拿他东西太容易了,他已经烂醉如泥。
Joe:Next time I saw him, I could tell by the look on his face that he knew.可我再见到他时,他的表情告诉我,他知道了。
W:What happened?后来呢?
Joe:I was going to call an ambulance, but it was too late. I just didn't have a clue what to do. So I dragged him in here. I just sat in the dark, think it.我准备叫救护车可已经太迟了。我当时手足无措,就把他拖到了进来。我坐在黑暗中想着。
S:When a neat little idea popped into your head. Carrying Andrew West way away from here. His body would have gone on for ages if the train hadn't hit a stretch of track that curved.灵光一现,你想到了一个好主意。把威斯特远远搬离这里,他的尸体会接着走很远,如果火车没有撞上变形道岔的话。
W:And points.或者尖道岔。
S:Exactly.正是。
W:Do you still have it, then - the memory stick?记忆棒还在你这里吗?
S:Fetch it for me, if you wouldn't mind. Distraction over -the game continues.不介意的话拿来给我。散心结束,游戏继续。
W:Maybe that's over, too. We've heard nothing from the bomber.也许游戏也结束了,炸弹客再没来消息。
S:Five pips, remember,John. It's a countdown.We've only had four. 五响,记得吧?约翰。这是在倒数,现在只有四轮。
S:No, no, no! OfCourse he's not the boy's father. Look at the turn-ups on his jeans! 错!全错!他绝不是男孩的父亲,看他牛仔裤的折痕
W:I knew it was dangerous.我就知道。
S:Hm?呃?
W:Getting you into crap telly.对着垃圾电视你没法消停。
S:Not a patch on Connie Prince.和康妮·普林斯完全没法比。
W:Have you given Mycroft the memory stick yet?你把记忆棒给麦克罗夫特了吗?
S:Yep. He was over themoon. Threatened me with a knighthood...again. 给了,他欣喜若狂。再次拿爵位来威胁我。
W:You know, I'm still waiting.你知道我还在等呢。
S:Hm?什么?
W:For you to admit that a little knowledge of the solar system and you'd have cleared up the fake painting a lot quicker.听你承认懂一点点太阳系知识,让你快速发现了假画的破绽。
S:It didn't do you any good, did it?你知道不也没用么?
W:No, but I'm not the world's only consulting detective.但我又不是独一无二的顾问侦探。
S:True.倒也是。
W:I won't be in for tea. I'm going to Sarah's. There's still some of that risotto left in the fridge. Milk, we need milk.我今晚不在家吃饭,我去莎拉家了。冰箱里还有些意大利饭,我们得买牛奶了
S:I'll get some.我去买。
W:Really?真的?
S:Really.真的。
W:And some beans, then?再买些豆子?
S:Mm.嗯。