Use one word to describe the kind of person you'll fall in love.
用一个词形容你会爱上什么人
maybe if you'd asked for directions when we got off the highway.
如果你在我们下高速的时候问路的话.....
we're going in circles 我们毫无进展
busted /ˈbʌstɪd/
adj.被当场逮住;
v.打破; 摔碎; 突击搜查(或搜捕); (使) 降级,降低军阶;
They were busted for possession of cannabis.
他们因藏有大麻被逮捕。
possession /pəˈzeʃn/
n.具有; 拥有; 个人财产; 私人物品; 控球状态;
Those documents are now in the possession of the Guardian
那些文件目前在《卫报》手里。
solicit /səˈlɪsɪt/
v 索求,请求…给予(援助、钱或信息); 征求; 筹集; 招徕(嫖客); 拉(客);
you're busted for soliciting 你因为援交被捕了
How dare you 你胆子真大
I don't need to know your specialty 我不需要知道你的专长
illicit /ɪˈlɪsɪt/
adj.非法的; 违法的; 违背社会常规的; 不正当的;
Dante clearly condemns illicit love.
丹蒂旗帜鲜明地谴责不正当恋情。
we are having an illicit affair 我们这是婚外情
I got to give you points for creativity. give you points 加分,点赞
不得不说,你们很有创意
can you walk my dog for me 你能帮我遛狗吗
the people at your firm know that we were attacked. I mean, they wouldn't blink if you opted out.
你公司的人知道我们遭遇袭击了,我是说,如果你取消了会议,他们会理解的。
opted out 决定退出,不再参与
blink 是眨眼的意思,在这样是指你公司人知道你不去都不会眨眼,就是说他们根本不会在意你去不去的。they wouldn't blink 用作不在意,不理睬某事
break the news 公布,告诉消息(通常是坏消息)
He can't handle the work any more so I'm going to have to break the news to him that it's time for him to retire.
他现在已经不能再胜任这个工作了,所以,我不得不去告诉他这个不好的消息。那就是:现在是他退休的时候了
shoot them a text = text someone 给某人发信息
throw anymore gas on that fire 火上浇油
turn on the gas 开始吹牛
talked up 夸大赞扬
pissed off 生气; 滚开;你们很让我烦;
I really pissed off at Harry.
我对哈利真的很生气。
Mary: She is just pissed off by the donor.
她只是被那个捐赠者搞的很不爽。
You shouldn't get so pissed off about trivial shit.
你不该为这么点屁事而生这么大的气。
I just make a few final tweaks /twiːks/ 我在做最后的细微改动(这里指写文章)
Let there be light 要有光
kick sb/sth to the curb 抛弃某人/某事(“不再理睬某人”,因为在美国人们常常把垃圾放在路边等垃圾车来收,所以这个短语是说把某个人像垃圾一样丢了。)
I can't believe the boy would kick me to the curb after we getting laid.
I think it's time to kick my old books to the curb
You should be ashamed of yourself
你应该感到惭愧
eavesdropping /[ˈiːvzdrɒpɪŋ/ 偷听 busboy 餐厅勤杂工
Don't you know I could have you arrested for eavesdropping?
你不知道我可以因你偷听而叫人把你抓起来?
regardless 不管怎么样 drop the subject 换个话题
I don't owe you any explanations don't be daft 别傻了=don't be silly
我不欠你什么解释,怼人常用
break a sweat over sth 对某事得心应手 break a sweat 做某事汗流浃背
give sb regards 给某人问好 will you give him my regards 能不能替我问候他
the irony /ˈaɪrəni/ is just delicious 这讽刺真是太美味了
dig all you like 随便你怎么挖/八卦,随便你怎么说
sb has fallen in with the wrong crowd 误入歧途
fall in with 偶然遇到 the wrong crowd 错误的人群(交友不慎)
home care 入户照料
sb is trustworthy 某人很值得信赖
she is just not used to you being so wonderful 她只是不习惯你突然这么好
be used to 习惯于
give us a second, we're not through with the mopping /ˈmɒpɪŋ/(拖地)
be through with 完成,结束
that would take a while 那要一整子了
mustard /ˈmʌstəd/ 美式芥末 wasabi 日式芥末
each just worst than the last 越来越糟糕了
the only one and my hit 我唯一受欢迎的作品
hit /hɪt/ n.打; 击中; 命中; 很受欢迎的人(或事物);)
praying for some sort of inspiration 祈祷有灵感来
(pray /preɪ/ v.祈祷; 祷告; 企盼; 祈望)
It was a fluke 那只是昙花一现
fluke /fluːk/
n.侥幸; 偶然; 意外;
The discovery was something of a fluke
这个发现多少有点机缘巧合。
brilliant director, stellar cast 出色的导演,一流的演员
(stellar /ˈstelə(r)/ 星的; 恒星的; 优秀的; 精彩的; 杰出的;)
turning my crap dialogue into gold 把我的废话变成金子
sb/sth in decent shape 状态良好
Nasty as ever, mean as the day is long 依旧讨厌,还是那么刻薄
as ever 一直,依旧 as the day is long 一贯地
we work our fingers to the bone for that woman
我们为她拼命工作
spite /spaɪt/
n.恶意; 怨恨;
v.故意使烦恼; 存心使苦恼;
He did it to spite me.
他做了那件事来刁难我。
He wrote that review out of pure spite.
他写那篇评论纯粹出于恶意。
He took my best toy just out of spite!
他仅仅出于怨恨拿走了我最好的玩具!
He wrote that article from pure spite.
他写那篇文章纯粹是为了泄愤。
He was there on the stroke in spite of the rain.
尽管下雨,他还是准时到了。
In spite of all your talk, you never seem to come to the point.
你虽然说了那么多话,但好像一直没贴题。
anyway 而且;加之;反正;尽管;即使这样;(转换话题、结束谈话或回到原话题时说)无论如何
proactive 积极主动一点
I hear you 我知道你的意见了
There's more to Eva than meets the eye Eva并不像表面上看上去那样
meet the eye 呈现在眼前
Not even close 才不是呢
covet /ˈkʌvət/ 渴望;贪求(尤指别人的东西);觊觎
When I was 12, I used to covet things like this
我12岁的时候,我常常觊觎这样的东西
Never covet wealth and power. 切勿贪图财富和权力。
used to do 过去常常做某事
satin sheets 绸缎的床单
iron /ˈaɪən/ v.(用熨斗)熨,烫平
I managed to get all the ironing done this morning.
我今天上午努力熨完了所有的衣服。
adj. 坚强的;强硬坚定的
a man of icy nerve and iron will...
有着冰一样冷静的神经与钢铁般坚强意志的人
She was known as the ‘Iron Lady’. 大家都称她为“铁娘子”。
n.铁;熨斗;铁器;金属工具
a steam iron 蒸汽熨斗
It's unconventional, and you probably don't approve. But....It's working
- Well, as long as you're happy. That's what matters
I knew she hadn't thought it through. 我就知道她还没有想过这个
Hadn't even crossed her mind 根本没有想过
man never change, they just get better at keeping secrets.
男人都死性不改,他们只是越来越会隐瞒
I should go and open some windows in the bedroom. To air it out.
我应该把卧室的窗户开几扇,散散臭味
trapped /træpt/
adj.受困的;受限制的
v.使落入险境;使陷入困境;卡住;夹住;绊住;缠住;收集;吸收
I trapped upstairs 我被困在楼上了
The trapped animal is vulnerable and could get injured inside the trap.
陷入困境的动物是易受伤害的并且可以在圈套里受伤。
He trapped them into telling him all their secrets.
他诱骗他们将秘密都说了出来。
This wasn't the first time we had been trapped into a situation like this.
我们受诱骗陷入这样一种境地已不是第一次了。
Now is not the time 现在不是说这个的时候
what a nasty tone 你的语气好恶劣啊
please come over here and create a distraction so I can get out
拜托你过来,引开她们的注意,好让我溜出去
distraction n.注意力分散
.....for all (one) cares
One does not care (if something were to happen). The phrase always precedes or follows some hypothetical situation.
一个人不在乎(如果有事情发生)。 该短语始终在某些假设情况之前或之后。
knock them dead 让他们印象深刻
Good luck on the audition! Knock 'em dead, kid!
通常是(比赛或表演前)鼓励某人的用语
where does that leave someone 对某人来说意味着什么;某人处于什么境地
put someone through:使某人经历……(通常是不好的事)
go through:经历(艰难时期)
It's fine. It's not a big deal. Like, college kids take them all the time to cram for midterms and shit.
cram /kræm/ for:临时抱佛脚
Do not cram for that exam at the last 3 days.
- Well, I'll see you at home, Karl. I have to finish my jog.
- Do you, darling? 'Cause I'm pretty sure the jog is up.
the jig /dʒɪɡ/ is up:快步舞结束了,意思是:糟了,完了,事情败露,诡计被拆穿了
注:Karl故意用jog替换掉习语the jig is up的jig,所以表面上是说“你已经跑完步了”,实际上是暗示她一直掩藏的约会对象已经被他知道了。
Your career is finally taking off. You should be enjoying this time, not mooning over some other woman's husband.
take off:成功 moon over ……:为……出神,(出于仰慕或迷恋)总是想着……
He spends all his time mooning over a girl at school.
sober /ˈsəʊbə(r)/ up:醒酒
We have stumbled into the perfect arrangement. You will have your lovers and I will have mine, and then we will come home to sparkling conversation.
stumble into sth/doing sth:无意中卷入……,无意中开始做某事
So, how does one stumble into your line of work? 当年你是怎么入这行的?
what are husband for 丈夫是用来做什么的,这里结合语境翻译成:这是丈夫该做的
同样,有朋友请你帮忙,你可以说 what are friends for ,表示这是做为朋友应该帮你的
there is no gas leave in the tank 我的油箱已经一滴汽油也没有了 ,这里形容Eil的没有写作灵感了,也可以表示:精疲力竭,江郎才尽
ADHD 注意力不集中症 (attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder))
they give you a lift and help you focus
give you a lift 载你一程,让某人开心,振奋
Will you please give me a lift to the office?
请你顺路送我到办公室好吗?
He said he would give you a lift home.
他说他要让你搭便车回家。
Have a drink. It'll give you a lift.
来喝一杯,它会使你的精神振奋起来
lift这个词还有个意思就是“happier feeling”更加快乐的心情哟。
I was feeling sad until I talked to Alex. He really gave me a lift.
在我和亚历克斯谈话之前,我一直感到很难过。他真的让我心情好了很多。
hand-delivering 亲手上交
somebody just rammed into my car/ crashed into my car 有人撞上我的车子了
Tonight is triumph /[ˈtraɪʌmf/ 今晚很成功
deliciously complex 五味杂陈
Thank you. -oh, look, I'll take it 谢谢你。-我接受你的感谢*(一般比较熟的人可以这样说)
I have a hunch /hʌntʃ/ 我有一种预感
bugger off 你走开,你滚