【开言小挑战】
人总是贪心的,往往会想要的越来越多。可鱼与熊掌怎么能兼得?
greedy: 贪心
You can't want this, want that, and while also wanting the other thing.
不能既想要这个,又想要那个,还想要更多的东西。
It's not about being pessimistic. It’s about being realistic.
这不是让你变得悲观。而是要让你变得现实一点。
resonated with me: 引起我的共鸣
What is the most ideal / perfect job? 你梦想中的工作是什么样的?
Probably, a really high salary, practically zero working hours and the office has to be right next to my home.
钱多,事少,离家近。
There's no such thing as free lunch. 天下没有免费的午餐。
You can want it all, but you are not gonna have it all.
你可以想要一切,但你不会拥有一切。
Either this or that. 二者只能选其一。
You can't have it both ways. 你不能什么都要。
Something's gotta give. (Something has got to give. ) 总要付出点东西。
love triangle: 三角恋
make a compromise: 妥协
zero-sum game: any gain that you have, is somebody else's loss.
零和游戏:你的任何收获,都意味着别人的损失。
make a trade-off: you have to give up something in order to get something else.
做一个权衡:为了得到别的东西,你必须放弃一些东西。
budget: 预算
If you think location is more important, then the trade-off is you need to get a smaller place.
如果你觉得地理位置更重要,那你的代价就是需要住在更小的环境里。
Pick your fights. 选择最紧要的事。
Choose your battles. 选最重要的事。
Not the hill to die on. 不能死在这座山头(暗指还有更重要的事要去做)。
Don't sweat the small stuff. (Don't get too worried or nervous about the small stuff.)
不要被芝麻小事困扰、烦闷。(不要因为小事过于担忧或者紧张)
Don't sweat it. 没事,别担心;和 No problems 同义。
Manage your expectations. 管理好个人的预期。
Don't over-promise, under-deliver. 不要承诺太多,实现太少。
You can't have your cake and eat it too. (You have two choices, you can have the cake, or you can eat the cake.) 鱼与熊掌不可兼得。字面解释为:你有两个选择,你可以拥有这个蛋糕,也可以吃掉这个蛋糕。