Part Two: Via - Seeing August
horrify
/ˈhɔːrɪfaɪ/
to make someone feel very shocked and upset or afraid
使震惊,使毛骨悚然
Henry was horrified by what had happened.
亨利对所发生的事感到毛骨悚然。
sicken
/ˈsɪkən/
disgust
to make you feel shocked and angry, especially because you strongly disapprove of something
使震怒,使愤慨,使厌恶
It might sicken you to realize that you've hit a squirrel with your car.
heck
used to show that you are annoyed or to emphasize what you are saying
唉,见鬼(用以表示烦恼或加强语气)
Who the heck are you?
你究竟是谁?
what the heck
used to say that you will do something even though you really should not do it
管它呢,不管它(用以表示将会做不应做的事)
It’s rather expensive, but what the heck.
这个相当贵,不过管它呢。
make-up
coloured substances that are put on your face to improve or change your appearance
化妆品
I don’t usually wear much make-up.
我一般不化浓妆。
vividly
(of memories, a description, etc. ) producing very clear pictures in your mind
(记忆、描述等)清晰地;生动地;逼真地
I vividly remember the day we first met.
我对我们第一次相见的那天记忆犹新。
instant
/ˈɪnstənt/
a very short period of time
瞬间;片刻
I'll be back in an instant.
我马上就回来。
raspy
/ˈræspi/
(of sb's voice) having a rough sound, as if the person has a sore throat
(嗓音)沙哑刺耳的
peephole
/ˈpiːphoʊl/
a small hole in a door or wall that you can see through
(门或墙上的)窥视孔,猫眼
out of the blue
if something happens out of the blue, it is very unexpected
出乎意料地,突如其来地
The decision came out of the blue.
这个决定来得很突然。
nauseous
/ˈnɔːʃəs/
feeling that you are going to vomit
恶心的,想呕吐的
She felt dizzy and nauseous.
她觉得头晕、恶心。
crumple
/ˈkrʌmpl/
to fall down in an uncontrolled way because you are injured, unconscious, drunk, etc.
(因受伤、失去知觉、喝醉而)瘫倒
He crumpled up in agony.
他极度痛苦地瘫倒在地。
sob
an act or the sound of sobbing
抽噎(声);啜泣(声);呜咽(声)
chilly
chilly weather or places are cold enough to make you feel uncomfortable
寒冷的,严寒的
It's chilly today.
今天很寒冷。
sliver
/ˈslɪvər/
a small pointed or thin piece that has been cut or broken off something
A sliver of light showed under the door.
门底下现出一丝亮光。
Portuguese
/ˌpɔːrtʃuˈɡiːz/
relating to Portugal, its people, or its language
葡萄牙的;葡萄牙人的;葡萄牙语的